Now, this blog post is not a laundry list of diet foods that claim to rid your body of all toxins or magically turn you into a fat-burning machine. Because 1) that would be untrue and 2) diet culture sucks.
The truth is, your body already does an incredible job at detoxifying itself naturally. Your liver and kidneys are the champions of daily detoxification, and your lymphatic and digestive systems are right behind them.
What we do want to cover here is:
1) Things you can do to contribute to this detox process.
2) How you can support your body to feel better than ever.
The first thing is to nourish your body with good food. We’re talking nutrient-dense, deliciously balanced, and, most importantly, calorie-sufficient (meaning you’re eating enough food to get you through the day). Enjoying foods packed with nutrition will give your body the tools to work effectively. What good are your liver and kidneys if they’re not getting the fuel they need to show up for the job?
Next, we recommend focusing on your gut health. Your digestive system and gut microbiome play a huge role in not only expelling waste from your body, but also keeping bacteria and yeast from overgrowing. Getting enough dietary fiber will assure you get the nutrients needed to eliminate toxins and waste inside your digestive tract. It will also support the friendly bacteria in your gut to keep things balanced.
Finally, we’ve gathered a list of the best herbs and minerals to add to your routine to support your body’s natural detox system.
HERBS - You can find most of these in tea form or even buy them in bulk for an herbal infusion.
- Burdock Root: rich in antioxidants and may help remove toxins from the blood.
- Dandelion: high in beta carotene, which can protect cells from damage.
- Nettle: can act as a detoxifier, anti-inflammatory, and even diuretic.
- Juniper Berry: has bitter compounds to support digestion and high antioxidant levels for detoxification.
- Milk Thistle: promotes detoxifying effects that can help support the liver.
MINERALS - The best ways to get these are from plant-rich foods, but you can also find them in supplement form.
- Magnesium: found in almonds, dark chocolate, leafy greens, and pumpkin seeds.
- Calcium: found in collard greens, dairy products, some beans, and papaya.
- ALA: a type of omega-3 found in chia seeds, flax seeds (both are ingredients in our all-natural Fiber + Prebiotics blend), and other fat-based plant foods.
- Glutathione: an antioxidant found in avocados, spinach, mushrooms, and asparagus.
So, to recap -- you don’t need anything fancy to detoxify your body. You have the support of your perfectly-capable organs, whose whole purpose is to keep you healthy and safe from toxins. As long as you give your body quality nutrition, you’ll be detoxing just fine.
Signing off with love,
The Clear Team
Check out more Blogs and High-Fiber Recipes here.